Don’t you just find it so depressing when you talk to someone from your past who was always the token negative person and still is that person who finds the bad side to everything? You just want to shake them and rattle off a list of all the beautiful things in their life that they constantly take for granted and ways that they can be happier in their life. Happy people know how to see the beauty in the little things and know how to take on the world with a positive mindset when life decides to get a little rough.
Personally, I’m happy about 90% of the time but there are some times when life throws me lemons and I allow myself to create the sourest beverage – instead of looking around for something sweet to create the most delicious lemonade. I have a personal go-to list in my mind of things I do to switch from a negative me to a more pleasant person to be around. It’s about being aware of yourself and finding alternatives when life just isn’t going your way.
1) Gratitude – Being grateful for the supportive people and beautiful things in your life.
2) Find the benefits in your obstacles instead of dwelling on the what if’s? and the shoulda,woulda couldas.
3) Pratice self-love and be your own best friend.
4) Get over yourself. I had to be blunt because sometimes some people just need to be told, so in other words.. Go the extra mile and do something nice for someone else. Taking away your attention to yourself and focussing on an act of kindness for someone else can help shift your mood.
5) Stop comparing yourself to someone else. If you feel the need to compare yourself to anyone, compare yourself to an earlier version of yourself.
6) Learn how to forgive and ask forgiveness. Remember.. “Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from the inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.” – Mitch Albom.
7) Do something self-indulgent. Have a glass of wine or a piece of chocolate. Light a scented candle and read your favourite book or go down to your favourite cafe in your most favourite outfit and meet with a friend for coffee – savour these moments.
8) Don’t rely on money to make you happy. Sure it can definitely brighten my mood, I have to admit that – but it’s best to not rely on money to make you happy. For me, inner happiness is the best as it comes from within and can’t be changed with or without money.
9) Meditate. Take deep breaths. Maybe try practising spirituality. When we do these things we can start to embrace the fact that we have a connectedness to everything that exists instead of acting like everything revolves around our own individual lives.
10) Take care of your body. What goes into your body affects your mental, physical, emotional being. Taking care of yourself in these areas lead to overall happiness.
10) Take a deep breath & smile….
11) Pass that smile to someone else!
Hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend! xx